Tuesday, December 30, 2008

21 Days And Counting

This post will be very short tonight. There is but one thing on my mind, and, I hope, yours as well.Today, two of President Bush's advisers carefully spelled out the starting points for the presidents plunge into mediocrity as this country's president( their opinions, not necessarily mine). The president's incoming aptitude for the job was compared to Sarah Palin's supposed lack of fitness to hold such high office. To think the president would have surrounded himself with such less than loyal men, is most difficult to understand. Typical Bush bashing, I thought, as I read the story. It concluded with the observation that Mister Bush had never sought a just and lasting peace between Israel, and Hamas, with the events this week in the Gaza Strip sorely underlining his failures, and any hope for a lasting, and favorable legacy.

Putting aside the presidents faults, alleged, perceived, and actual, he has it within his grasp to do something quite meaningful indeed. The nagging question is: Will he do it?

On this Christmas last, I spent more than a few moments contemplating the fate of Ignacio Ramos, and Jose Compean. Their families, too, were in my thoughts, and in my prayers. I still have not reconciled myself to the fact that these two men are suffering along with their families and friends, for actions taken against an illegal drug smuggling alien. Quite in spite of what I would guess to be hundreds of thousands of requests to commute the sentences of these two Border Patrol agents, and actually pardon them, nothing yet has been done, and time is running out quickly.

Yes, I have been sorely disappointed with President Bush, and his performance. But! I would be the first to congratulate him if he will simply do the correct thing here. Issue full pardons before his time runs out. His failure to do this will only serve to confirm the negative assessments made by those very close to him, and that would be a terrible shame.

If you have not already done so, then send your requests, if you agree, to comment@whitehouse.gov

Ignacio and Jose would be most thankful, as would be their families, and that is the very least we, in good conscience, can do for them at this time.

Happy New Year, everyone, let's make sure it is a good one for the Ramos, and Compean family as well.

No comments: