Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Beautiful Lunar Eclipse

In spite of afternoon snow falling about, and an ominous looking sky overhead, the weather broke sufficiently to allow us a ringside seat at one of nature's premier events: A lunar eclipse!

In explaining the positioning of the sun, the earth, and the moon to my grandson, I was in turn given his thoughts on the event. He said that it was possible he wouldn't see another eclipse until 2010, when he was 8 years old. Naturally, I asked him how did he know that. He matter of factly said, "I heard it on the news". I was also told that it could be raining or storming then, and we would not be able to see the eclipse. Therefore, the importance of seeing this evening's display in spite of the need for sleep, was understood clearly.

The point here is simply this: If, and this is a big if I know, a young six year old can associate all possibilities regarding a significant time in his life in an understanding way, then how is it supposedly older, and more mature young people can not do the same during meaningful times in their lives? Such as today for example?

I make reference to the convoluted reasoning underlying the current Obamaphenomena gripping a great mass of youthful Americans this moment. One may not hope the next lunar eclipse will be available to be seen. One may only plan around all the possibilities in order to secure a favorable outcome. My grandson seems to understand the need to plan. Why is that, I ask myself? It is not only the young so mesmerized it seems. Older, mature people are also caught in the frenzy surrounding this elusive concept of Hope. Why would that be? If my grandson finds the need to question such vague concepts, then why do older, more sophisticated adults appear to lack the fundamental ideas regarding legitimate inquiry? One may only ask, it is they who need to answer these questions. In this, my grandson and I are in agreement.

We saw the eclipse tonight, yes. We have planned for the next celestial event, and God willing, we will be there to do it all once more. One more beautiful memory tucked away neatly in a bin full of similarly shared memories. It doesn't get much better than that, does it?

And now, back to the education of them all....

No comments: